My Fellow Elks,
I hope that 2018 has started well for each of you, as well as your families and friends.
With the beginning of a new calendar year is the ending of an ‘Elk’ year and the planning of the next year. As such, here are a couple items we need to address:
• For those couple members that have not been able to pay their dues for the 2017-18 year, please attend to this ASAP; especially with next year’s dues statements coming out soon. If there are any issues, please contact me so we can address them.
• Dues for 2018-19 will be mailed out at the beginning of February. As our secretary, PSP Jerry Shook, has mentioned at the past two meetings, the Grand Lodge mandatory fee portion has a slight increase of a couple dollars this year.
As we all know, membership is the lifeblood to our organization. We are only a few members away from having a net gain in membership this year, so:
• If you know of someone who would like to join our lodge or who you think would be a good member, please ask if they would like to join us.
• We’re looking to have an open house/membership drive during February. People willing to help with this, please contact me.
Officers and Committee Chairpersons
With the new year approaching, we are looking for people willing to be, or assist with, leadership for the lodge. Whether you have no previous experience, wish to continue, in a role or are interested in getting back involved after a hiatus; all are welcome. If you are interested, please contact me, another officer or place your name on the officer nomination list that will be posted in the lodge this month. Nominations for officers will be held during the February 12th and 26th meetings. Voting on officers will be held during the February 26th meeting as well.
I would like to take a moment to thank a couple people. First is Jim Yeager for organizing the effort in obtaining an AED for the lodge. Jim and his committee raised over $1,500 for its purchase and upkeep in a very short time. Next is Dave and Rob for holding the NFC/AFC Championships Football Party at the lodge on January 21st. It was a good time held by all that attended.
Here is a list of the upcoming items for both the lodge and the District:
• Feb 3rd (noon) is the District Chili/Soup Cook-off in Red Hook. Entrance fee is $5 per crock-pot. There will also be a Chinese Auction and a 50/50 drawing.
• Feb 4th is the lodge’s Super Bowl Party, which starts at 4pm. Cost is $25 per person; including food and beer/wine/soda. Questions, please contact Gary Hammond.
• Feb 10th is the St. Valentine’s Day Party at the lodge. This will be from 5 to 9pm. The cost is $25 per person and includes choice of Chicken Cordon Bleu or Cornish Game Hen, dessert, band/dancing, etc. Sign up and tickets are available at the bar, or see Dave Travis.
• Feb 16th is the 150th Anniversary of the birth of the Elks
• On Feb 17th, the district will be holding a celebration for the 150th Elks Anniversary. This will be at the Hudson Elks from 3 to 8pm, $25 per person. 3-4 pm is a Happy Hour consisting of a one hour open bar including soda, draft beer, wine and speed rack liquor. Dinner includes salad, a buffet with roast beef, chicken, potatoes, vegetables, and dessert. After dinner will include a Jolly Corker toast by the district’s ERs, some speeches and dancing; music provided by a DJ. Attire is suitcoat & tie/dress, shirt or dress slacks.
• Feb 18th (3pm) is the PER Initiation followed by refreshments
• Feb 19th is our annual blood drive
Finally, if you have any suggestions or thoughts pertaining to the lodge, please let an officer, a trustee or myself know of them.
ER John Piddock